Just another UMW Blogs weblogPosts RSS Comments RSS

digital history and web 2.0

After reading and looking over a few of the articles in http://www.historians.org/Perspectives/issues/2007/0705/index.cfm I discovered that many of the writers were professors exploring how technology can advance history in and outside of the classroom. I found the article, The Digital History Reader: Teaching Resources for United States and European Historyby E. Thomas Ewing and Robert P. Stephens to be interesting in how to teach history not only to undergraduate students but also those in high school. I agreed with the different modules in combining written evidence with visuals such as photographs and maps and also the use of audios to hear how people experienced events throughout history. The quotes from students at Virginia Tech proved helpful for me to see that students benefited from this type of learning experience and not just a professor saying this is what I did and how I wanted it to work, students actually gained a well-rounded knowledge of eras listed in the syllabus.  The other article I read in depth was Blogging for your Studentsby David Voelker I felt that the title alone meant the article would pertain to this class and also the other history/American studies classes I have taken in which we are required to blog on readings or movies. I found Professor Voelker’s article to be what I expected and more, he uses his blog, Ex Post Facto, to reveal what he took from the readings and also encourages students to write comments on it. I think his statement that when using a blog you should include an About me page to be interesting and naturally went and checked out his About Me page, which included a little about him and more about what he hoped his blog accomplished, I personally think he could jazz up his site a little more, a different theme maybe 😉 but I did overall enjoy his site. His encouragement to use blogs made me realize this is where history is headed to keep students interested in it and that by writing comments on each others blogs we take away not only the information posted but also other interpretations of the work, movie, or photograph assigned.

Through this class I have realized how much history is not just a topic about the past but is relevant to today and the ever-changing technological revolution.  I am happy to say the Images Site is doing well and through Google Analytics we have found that people from all over the country are viewing the site 🙂 The research continues and I have found the yearbooks to be really interesting especially from the 1960s and ’70s, from the hairstyles women had to finding out that some of the clubs from the 1966 yearbook still exist today, such as many of the relgious clubs and then some clubs/committees we no longer have such as May Day. It is always interesting seeing the pictures in the Battlefield and then realizing they are on the site and the people in the pictures maybe viewing the site, it brings history alive in my eyes and really cool, to sound like a 5 year old 🙂

2 Responses to “digital history and web 2.0”

1. on 05 Apr 2010 at 7:45 pmb4ssm4st3r

I agree with the about me pages, I think its always interesting to look at who is actually creating the blog, or even website. Thats great that you are getting so many visitors!

2. on 08 Apr 2010 at 8:32 amJonathan Wigginton

Like the students from Va Tech, I agree with the benefits of using “new age” media like maps/photographs/audio devices. I think incorporating that media, in our class, like the YouTube videos and such, really added to my learning experience.